ADA unveils revamped ADA Success program for dental students
In an effort to help dental students prepare for life as a dentist and boost student engagement with the ADA, the Association in August launched a revamped ADA Success program, which offers a series of programs on topics most relevant to students today.
“The new programs have a more modern look and more pertinent information, but will continue to be presented by member dentists who can share their ‘real world’ experience and create an emotional connection with students,” said Dr. Rachel Hymes, ADA New Dentist Committee member. “We want dental students to know that the ADA is here for them, listening to their needs and concerns. We want them to be part of our great organization.”
The Success Dental Student Program was re-branded to ADA Success as part of a program overhaul, overseen by the ADA New Dentist Committee. The new approach is aimed to help make the programs more broadly applicable to the current generation of dental students.
Today, ADA Success offers a series of live, in-person programs presented by ADA member dentists or other subject matter experts on the following topics:
- Managing Debt and Wealth: Students can learn how to take control of their finances with budgeting and loan repayment information.
- Future of Dentistry: Students can get acquainted with the forces shaping dental care market and practice environment.
- Practice Management for All Dentists: Students can learn how to manage their business, staff and patients’ expectations for practice success.
- All About Associateships: Students can review types of associateships and receive tips on contracts and compensation.
- Understanding Employment Agreements: Students can explore and understand the complexities of contracts.
- Finding a Job: Students can learn more about their options and how to prepare for a career.
About 70 programs are currently scheduled — one of the first was held Aug. 12 at ADA Headquarters. Fifty-six students from the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry Class of 2019 attended a “Managing Debt and Wealth” session, presented by Dr. Tom Sullivan, past-president of the Illinois State Dental Society and former ADA vice president.
The Illinois State Dental Society sponsored the visit. All ADA Success. The ADA and/or state and local dental societies present programs at no cost to the students or dental schools.
To participate, state and local dental societies, as well as American Student Dental Association chapters, can schedule, host, attend or promote ADA Success. The ADA Office of Student Affairs administers the program. To learn more, visit ADA.org/successprogram or contact Isabella Horning in the ADA Office of Student Affairs at email@example.com.