What is Your Style of Leadership? (You have Six Choices)
Researcher Daniel Goleman studied 3,000 executives over the course of three years to develop a model of six leadership styles. The original report was published by Harvard Business Review (registration required) but many blogs have referenced his work since the original was published in 2000.
The six styles Goleman identified are:
- Coercive leaders demand immediate obedience. Do what I tell you.
- Pace-setting leaders expect excellence and self-direction. Do as I do, now.
- Authoritative leaders move people towards a vision. Come with me.
- Affiliative leaders value and create emotional bonds and harmony. People come first.
- Democratic leaders build consensus through participation and collaboration. What do you think?
- Coaching leaders will develop people, allowing them to try different approaches in an open way. Try it.
If you’d like to increase your leadership skills, no matter what your style, please join us at the ADA 28th New Dentist Conference taking place in Kansas City, Missouri July 17-19, 2014 at Sheraton Kansas City, Crown Center (mark your calendar). In addition to a full day of leadership development, the Conference includes:
- hands-on endodontic and implant CE courses at UMKC School of Dentistry
- Friday night social event at PBR Big Sky in the city’s Power & Light District
- breakfast-and-learn sessions; all-inclusive lunches
See you in Kansas City!