Finding a job in federal dentistry
Almost 5,000 dentists work for the U.S. Public Health Service, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs or the military. Among the benefits with this professional choice:
- a base salary
- access to an assortment of nontaxable income and benefits
- a competitive compensation package that grows with years of service and promotions
- potential use of time to complete a residency or specialty program
- access to continuing education and often an opportunity to expand skill levels in an environment not unlike a general practice residency
Capt. Sarah Wheeler shares insights about her lifestyle as a Dentist in the Air Force:
Lt. Sarita Ojha talks about serving in the Navy Dental Corps:
While you may already be familiar with the military and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (sometimes referred to as the VA), you may be less familiar with the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps.
The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps are uniformed dental officers, serving in the Indian Health Service, U.S. Coast Guard, Federal Bureau of Prisons and the National Health Service Corps. While their uniforms are derived from the uniforms of the U.S. Navy, the Commissioned Corps is under the Department of Health and Human Services, overseen by the Surgeon General, rather than under the Department of Defense. While the Commissioned Corps is not an armed service, officers may have the opportunity to assist in public health responses to man-made and natural disasters. Officers receive the same benefits as their counterparts in the military.
Check out Federal Dental Services eNews, a quarterly ADA publication.
Find more information on these opportunities:
- U.S. Army Dental Corps
- U.S. Navy Dental Corps
- U.S. Air Force
- U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs
- USA Jobs (Search keywords: Dental, Medical, Public Health)
- U.S. Public Health Service
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Indian Health Service
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- U.S. Coast Guard
- Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors