In an effort to address poor dental health behaviors during the holidays, ADA president Carol Gomez Summerhays and Hermey the Elf, D.D.G., unveiled Dec. 1 the Happy and Healthy Holiday Tips education campaign on MouthHealthy.org during a summit in Santa’s Castle.
In 2014, the ADA granted Hermey, who is known for his adventures with Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, a D.D.G. (Dental Do Gooder) certificate for his passion for dentistry and devotion to helping others. Since then, Hermey has been working to help families learn about good dental health.
“Hermey’s passion for healthy teeth is unmatched,” said Dr. Summerhays. “We made great progress at our meeting and are very proud to announce our new joint campaign. Happy and Healthy Holiday Tips will educate people on how to stay healthy around the holidays.”
The MouthHealthy.org tips include:
- Have a routine: Hermey always brushes his teeth two times a day, for two minutes. Make sure to use fluoride toothpaste that has earned the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
- Choose the carrots: Cookies and sweets are nice holiday treats but take a cue from Rudolph and eat the carrots and other vegetables.
- Don’t forget the dentist: The holidays can be a busy time but make sure you to visit a dentist in December if you’re due for a teeth cleaning or need work done.
- Drink water: Avoid drinking sodas, sports drinks and juices high in sugar. Instead, drink water with fluoride to help keep teeth strong and healthy.
- Protect your teeth: If you’re playing winter sports, such as reindeer games, wear a mouthguard.
For more holiday tips, visit MouthHealthy.org.