It’s been an eventful 2014 for New Dentist Now as it continues to feature resources for new dentists and dental students, along with news and insight on the dental profession and beyond.
Just in case you missed them, here’s a look back to some of our favorite and most popular blog posts of the year.
- In Zambia, new dentist volunteers to treat patients in a truck: Since graduating from the Medical University of South Carolina in 2010, Dr. Rachel Hymes has volunteered her dentistry skills for a mission trip every year. This year, she went to Zambia treating 40 patients a day inside a trailer on the back of a truck.
- Educating patients using evidence-based dentistry: Dr. Partha Mukherji is a general dentist practicing in Ft. Worth, Texas, and a supporter of Evidence-Based dentistry. He spoke with New Dentist Now about strategies dentists can use when patients are misinformed about science.
- Independent Contractor or Employee — What Happens with Patient Records?: New Dentist Now features a new ADA publication that goes into detail about the distinction between classifications as an independent contractor vs. employee, and raised a number of issues that could require clarification.
- Institute for Diversity in Leadership members discuss opportunities, challenges in advancing inclusion, diversity in ADA: The Institute 2014-15 class members engaged the ADA Board of Trustees in a panel discussion. The goal: For the ADA Board of Trustees to gain insights and perspectives from the current class regarding opportunities and challenges related to advancing diversity and inclusion throughout the ADA.
- Dentistry at a Crossroads: ADA chief economist Marko Vujicic, Ph.D., discussed the future dental care system and the key changes on the horizon due to the Affordable Care Act, increased consumerism, shifts in demand for dental care and other factors.
- In its third year, Veterans’Smile Day expands its reach: To honor those who served the United States in the military, new dentists and their colleagues in at least five states provided free dental care to about 600 veterans during this year’s Veterans’ Smile Day.
- Starting a new dental practice — Checklist: If you’re opening a new dental practice, there are many things to consider, including licenses, local requirements, supplies, insurance, OSHA, etc. Here’s a checklist to help you stay focused on all these details.
- Check out the new PSAs for the Kids’ Healthy Mouths campaign: These new English- and Spanish-language PSAs playfully explore how much a parent can teach a child in two minutes.